Pre-Construction Chemical Treatment
If you are building a custom home or a commercial property you should discuss termite control for your new construction with Patriot Pest & Termite Control along with your builder.
Termite treatment in pre-construction stages includes several procedures that must be done to ensure an area of termite-free construction. Treating the soil before any slab placement with insecticides is the most common method of termite treatment. This will form a chemical barrier between the ground slab and masonry that will prevent the insects to approach the building. The chemical treatment can be done as follow:
Pre-Construction Termite Control
The most effective, cost-efficient way to prevent termite infestations is to practice sound building techniques. Builders focus on two main conditions to help reduce termite activity, moisture and wood-to-ground contact.
There are several guidelines builders can follow during pre-construction to help reduce these conditions, including:
- Limit wood-to-soil contact by supporting wood with a concrete base.
- If wood must touch soil, use pressure-treated or termite-resistant wood.
- Do not bury cellulose materials (e.g. termite food sources like wood) at the building site, including underneath front porches.
- Slope soil away from the foundation to create proper drainage.
- Provide adequate ventilation in crawlspaces to help reduce moisture build-up.
- Keep wood in crawlspaces at least 18 inches aboveground to avoid soil contact.
- Install siding at least six inches above the soil to reduce entry points.
Builders should incorporate termite prevention and control methods. Builders regularly use the following techniques:
- Treat the layer of soil beneath a home with termiticide to offer proactive protection.
- Saves builders a day of cycle time. Crews don’t have to evacuate the site during application, and treatment is not weather-dependent, allowing your project to move forward regardless of conditions.
- Bora-Care is applied during the dried-in phase of construction.
- Bora-Care pretreats can easily be coordinated in new construction, because you’re treating the structure, not the soil
- Scientifically demonstrated to work in 12 years of efficacy studies as well as use in the field since 1990
- Penetrates the wood and remains there for the life of the wood, providing residual protection
- Protects you with the best warranty in the industry
Bora-Care is proven effective to kill and prevent:
- Drywood termites
- Subterranean termites
- Formosan termites
- Carpenter ants
- Powderpost beetles
- Old house borers
- PLUS: Bora-Care will kill and prevent algae and wood-decay fungi